Effects of Situational Awareness Support System in the Risk of Collision with Multiple Ships
- 334 Downloads
手机体育投注平台When encountering several ships in a short period of time rather than encountering a single ship, maritime officers have difficulty in situation awareness and collision avoidance decisions. A dynamic display was devised that shows the change of positions of the other ships and own ship over time. This display indicates the relative position between the other ships and own ship in the near future as well as the present and the past. This study investigated the effects of the proposed dynamic display on the maritime officers’ decision-making and situation awareness in the situations of collision risks with multiple ships. The subjects’ judgments and eye gazes in the process of judgment was measured. According to the experiment results, the proposed display was helpful to the situation awareness but did not provide directly positive effects on the collision avoidance judgment. The effect of this display appeared more in novices than in experts.
KeywordsShip collision Situation awareness Maritime officers Decision making Dynamic display
手机体育投注平台This work was funded by grants from National Research Foundation of Korea (Grant - #NRF-2018R1D1A1B07048479).
- 1.Hetherington, C., Flin, R., Mearns, K.: Safety in shipping: the human element. J. Saf. Res. 37, 401–411 (2006)
- 2.Smith, M.W., Akerstrom-Hoffman, R.A., Pizzariello, C.M., Siegel, S.I., Schreiber, T.E., Gonin, I.M.: Human Factors Evaluation of Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS). U.S. Coast Guard Research and Development Center, New London (1995)
- 3.Lutzhoft, M.: The technology is great when it works: Maritime technology and human integration on the ship’s bridge. Doctoral dissertation, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden (2004)
- 4.Liu, Z., Wu, Z., Zheng, Z.: A cooperative game approach for assessing the collision risk in multi-vessel encountering. Ocean Eng. 187, 1–12 (2019)
- 5.Szlapczynski, R.: A new method of planning collision avoidance manoeuvres for multi-target encounter situations. J. Navig. 61(2), 307–321 (2008)
- 6.Park, J.H., Jung, J., Kim, H., Lee, H, Jang, J.H.: Time-series distance graph for reducing complexity of collision avoidance in crowded areas. In: Paper presented at the 12th International Symposium on Integrated Ship’s Information Systems & Maritime Traffic Engineering Conference, Hamburg, Germany, 31 August–02 September 2016 (2016)