Adenosine-to-Inosine RNA Editing Enzyme ADAR and microRNAs
- 56 Downloads
RNA is subjected to over 100 different types of chemical modifications inside the cell. These modifications have various effects on its function and expression, resulting in RNA diversity. RNA editing or conversion of adenosine to inosine (A-to-I) in a double-stranded RNA is a type of RNA modification that can introduce mutations into the precursor of microRNA (miRNA). It can also regulate miRNA processing independently of A-to-I RNA editing. This chapter outlines the role of an A-to-I RNA editing enzyme ADAR in miRNA processing and the experimental systems used to analyze the interaction between miRNAs and ADAR.
Key wordsADAR A-to-I RNA editing miRNA Processing
This text was prepared using the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology’s Scientific Research Fund. The drawing was made with the assistance of Ms. Sayuri Hamada.
- 1.Bartel DP (2018) Metazoan microRNAs. Cell 173:20–51
- 2.Nishikura K (2016) A-to-I editing of coding and non-coding RNAs by ADARs. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 17:83–96
- 3.Kawahara Y, Megraw M, Kreider E, Iizasa H, Valente L, Hatzigeorgiou AG, Nishikura K (2008) Frequency and fate of microRNA editing in human brain. Nucleic Acids Res 36:5270–5280
- 4.Kawahara Y, Zinshteyn B, Chendrimada TP, Shiekhattar R, Nishikura K (2007) RNA editing of the microRNA-151 precursor blocks cleavage by the Dicer-TRBP complex. EMBO Rep 8:763–769
- 5.Kawahara Y, Zinshteyn B, Sethupathy P, Iizasa H, Hatzigeorgiou AG, Nishikura K (2007) Redirection of silencing targets by adenosine-to-inosine editing of miRNAs. Science 315:1137–1140
- 6.Iizasa H, Wulff BE, Alla NR, Maragkakis M, Megraw M, Hatzigeorgiou A, Iwakiri D, Takada K, Wiedmer A, Showe L, Lieberman P, Nishikura K (2010) Editing of Epstein-Barr virus-encoded BART6 microRNAs controls their dicer targeting and consequently affects viral latency. J Biol Chem 285:33358–33370
- 7.Ota H, Sakurai M, Gupta R, Valente L, Wulff BE, Ariyoshi K, Iizasa H, Davuluri RV, Nishikura K (2013) ADAR1 forms a complex with Dicer to promote microRNA processing and RNA-induced gene silencing. Cell 153:575–589
- 8.Heale BS, Keegan LP, McGurk L, Michlewski G, Brindle J, Stanton CM, Caceres JF, O’Connell MA (2009) Editing independent effects of ADARs on the miRNA/siRNA pathways. EMBO J 28:3145–3156
- 9.Chomoczynski P, Sacchi N (1987) Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem 162:156–159
- 10.Kawahara Y (2012) Quantification of adenosine-to-inosine editing of microRNAs using a conventional method. Nat Protoc 7:1426–1437
- 11.Chen YC, Kao SC, Chou HC, Lin WH, Wong FH, Chow WY (2008) A real-time PCR method for the quantitative analysis of RNA editing at specific sites. Anal Biochem 375:46–52